- Eat your Wheaties and take your B vitamin shot. This is going to be tough and no wussies allowed. You are the parent buck up and stand your ground even when its hard. Hold on, this will be the ride of your life but you are up to the job!
- Check on summer reading/math assignment. Start with your child’s school website.
- Set up a meeting with your child’s school counselor. Advise the counselor of your child’s learning style and/or any important information that will impact your child’s learning (i.e. IEP or 504). Establish a relationship with your child’s counselor early.
- Talk to your child and establish rules about electronics. I recommend collecting devices right before bedtime.
- Find things for your child to do. Explore their interest. Clubs, sports and volunteer opportunities should be explored.
- Have the cool house. Your spot is the hangout spot. It is easier to monitor friends this way. Thank me later.
- Give your child the national suicide hotline number. Talk about the signs of depression and identify yourself as a safe place to talk about mental health issues. Here is the website and the phone number 1-800-273-8255(TALK).
Hope this helps! Welcome to a new school year parents, I will keep you in my prayers.